Monday, May 2, 2011

A-Sketch-a-Day-Until-Hera #7

Olympians Book 3, Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory is finally coming out July 19th. To commemorate this momentous occasion I will be posting a drawing from my enormous cache of sketchbooks each weekday until Hera hits the shelves. I'll be going through them chronologically, with today's piece coming from a sketchbook from September of 2006.




Some creepy stuff today. These pieces were studies for the shades of Hades/angels/ otherwise dead people, drawn with white ink and acrylic paint on a bed of black ink. I've mentioned here and there that in its infancy the project that would become Olympians was a very different beast than what it eventually became, and this is probably the most concrete example of that difference I'm likely to post on this blog. Someday I hope to recycle a lot of my out-there ideas, like these guys, into another related, but very different, project.

Follow george_oconnor_ on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. So awesome! Maybe instead of average-Joe Asphodel Fields shades, you could use these as bases for Tartarus souls?

    Also, out of curiosity, in your new blog drawing with all the gods, is the little blond girl in the far left Hebe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, nice guess on Hebe. She gets her intro in the upcoming Hera book.

    Unfortunately, I already finished Hades: Lord of the Dead before I rediscovered these guys, so they won't be the shades of Tartarus. They're too creeped out for me not to use them somewhere, though.

    ReplyDelete