Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A-Sketch-a-Day-Until-Hera #2

Olympians Book 3, Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory is finally coming out July 19th. To commemorate this momentous occasion I will be posting a drawing from my enormous cache of sketchbooks each weekday until Hera hits the shelves. I'll be going through them chronologically, and today's piece is from a sketchbook dated August 2006.


Today's drawing is an early sketch of Hera herself, as well as her sister Demeter, goddess of the harvest (one of the stars of Hades: Lord of the Dead, coming in January!). As I've mentioned before, at this stage of the project I still hadn't even decided on the style I would be drawing Olympians in. These two are a bit more elongated and cartoony than the way they would eventually appear in print, but otherwise they're both pretty recognizable. One difference is Hera's peacock themed collar, which would have been rendered in color only, with no black lines. Ultimately, it looked too confusing as to what it was, exactly, so I dropped it. Also, that would have been a nightmare to color throughout a whole book, let alone a series.


Follow george_oconnor_ on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment