Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A-Sketch-a-Day-Until-Hera #16

Olympians Book 3, Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory is finally coming out July 19th. To commemorate this momentous occasion I will be posting a drawing from my enormous cache of sketchbooks each weekday until Hera hits the shelves. I'll be going through them chronologically, with today's piece coming from a sketchbook from sometime in latish 2006.


Today's sketch is of Ares, bloodthirsty god of war, and a favorite of little boys everywhere (though Athena could totally kick his butt, and in fact does in The Iliad). I've done many school, library and bookstore appearances in support of Olympians, and met many young fans who share names with an Olympian. Strangely, I've met way more Ares than any other. Go figure.

Follow george_oconnor_ on Twitter

8 comments:

  1. George can you tell me what weapons ares has

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georege I have to do a report on ares can you tell me some of the weapons of ares

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the shiny part on the cover of ARES: Lord of War? Is the part about Ares and Aphrodite being put in a net by Hephaestus, will you talk about the Aloadae putting him the pot? Will we see more of his helmetess face and a better image of Helen? Oh, and on Aphrodite, she looked sad toward the end, was it Athena who talked sense into her?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure what the shiny part will be yet-- maybe his eyes? Ares doesn't strike me as a god who polishes his armor or weapons. I'm saving the net story for another day, and I dropped out the Aloadae because I was tired of Ares being the whipping boy. You will see a lot more of his face (he's definitely the handsomest Olympian) and a little more Helen as well. As for sad Aphrodite-- I think it's that she's very lonely. Take a look at how all the gods relate to her-- her power and beauty maker her very alone, even when she's surrounded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait you don't like Ares being hated on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and will the net story be in Hephaistos: Blacksmith of the Gods

      Delete
    2. Each time I work on a book I spend a lot of time getting into the head of the god or goddess in question. Even Ares, who is a violent, murdering psychopath, had feelings, and I feel very bad for him when Zeus calls him out in front of his whole family and tells him he hates him. That's gotta hurt.

      Delete
    3. Oh, and you'd better believe the net story will be in Hephaistos ;)

      Delete