Friday, May 20, 2011

A-Sketch-a-Day-Until-Hera #25

Olympians Book 3, Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory is finally coming out July 19th. To commemorate this momentous occasion I will be posting a drawing from my enormous cache of sketchbooks each weekday until Hera hits the shelves. I'll be going through them chronologically, with today's piece coming from a sketchbook from sometime in latish 2006.


Today's sketch is a near-complete assemblage of the gods. Unfortunately, as you can tell, I drew this across the spread of my sketchbook, so we have a big ol' crease running down the middle. From left to right we have Poseidon, Dionysos, Ares, Aphrodite, Hephaistos, Hera, Demeter, Apollo, Artemis, Hermes and Athena. At this point in time I was toying with the idea of Hestia not having a human form at all, but just being personified by a hearth (that's her in the middle). Eventually, I compromised and made her a humanoid figure composed of flame. Conspicuously absent is Big Daddy Zeus himself-- that's because this drawing is done from a Zeus eye view. We're viewing this family get-together from his seat at the table.

Follow george_oconnor_ on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Are Athena and Poseidon glaring at each other like that on purpose? :D
    Oh, and Hermes is really cool in this picture. He doesn't seem to have much arm muscles for once, which is how I've always imagined him. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. When will you show Hestia before she became a flame and as a regular god in human form (I image her as a mixture of Hebe and Metis)?

    PS: When will you talk about Hebe helping Iolaus (her nephew-in-law) defeated Eurystheus' army?

    ReplyDelete